July 7, 2009

Soon, Soon

I'm all about making lists. I'm all about Forensics for Dummies, Purified by Fire, The Egyptian Way of Death, and Grave Matters. I'm all about NOT being embalmed.

In a few days, I'm leaving for Sewanee. I'll admit, I've been a bit blase about going, until a few moments ago when I started my list. I got to 'camera' and realized, this is going to be fun.

At this point, I want to start a new series of poems, so I'm not sure I want to workshop at all at Sewanee (even though, this is definitely a part of the conference), but I am looking forward to some one-on-one feedback from a good reader. Also, I'll have time to do two things I'm really geared up about: write these poems and explore some new terrain.

From what I'm told, this part of TN is lovely, so writing 'camera' put a little fire under my toosh. Truth be told, I've been dragging on getting things ready---thinking about the cons: that I'm missing my son's birthday to be at this conference; that it could be this or that or whatever; that I'm not an excellent mingler (and I wish I was for the sake of this type of event).

This is a part of my process for leaving home: I go into a holding pattern of negativity until I finally look out the window and realize I'm going in circles and missing the very lovely view below. In concrete terms, I've begun writing down things to bring and mapping my route. This is the part where I get excited for the opportunity that's ahead of me. Somehow, I keep forgetting that this is an opportunity. So...

books, journal, camera, wine (corkscrew), flashlight, bug spray, hangers, hikers, skirts, swimsuit, an open window, a stretch of road, two weeks away from home, a new series of poems, a new group of people, a less-clouded view, flip-flops. There. Ready.

***

2 comments:

Beth Guza said...

"Forensics for Dummies," hahahahaha. That's awesome.

Lisa, you're going to have so much fun, and Tennessee is VERY beautiful. I'm excited for you!

Lisa Fay Coutley said...

Yes, Elizabeth...so far, my favorite is Chapter 12: Yeow! That Hurts: Traumatic Injuries and Deaths. *Did you know you can bruise a corpse if you hit it hard enough?

Yes, TN, here I come! Thx for the good vibes!