"In the Carnival of Breathing" (on the villanelle--if you'd had a chance to read it before I took it down). Still not sure how I feel about those poems, but I really feel an urgency to capture a particular voice in a series of poems that are based in my father's character.
As I said, he's the most paradoxical being I've ever known (well, he's a 60-year-old, blue-collar man, who just happens to be very emotional [ssshhh, don't tell anyone]), and I think it's interesting to write a piece that is superficially simple and in a common voice but which is, beneath it all, more complex than it seems. At least, that's my goal.
If you're wondering which poems I'm referring to---because you didn't have a chance to view these poems I had posted for a whole 12 hours---they are a couple of poems stemming from the entry below. I'd posted them here with a hope for some feedback, but I've decided to no longer post poems for more than a very short timeframe if at all. Why? A friend has told me that some journals poo-poo this and consider it a publication so...that's that.
Still makes me worry about that electronic thesis.
If anyone knows the legality of any of this, I'd love to hear it. Please post what you've got.
Until then: while there is no delicate purple just yet, there's a brand new hammock and a stack of to-be-read books and two weeks before the next teaching appointment.
Oh, and to the "regular-like" reader: I am loving TLP, thx.
4 comments:
Hey Lisa, I never saw that poem. FYI.
Those poems.
If you'd like, I'll send them to you, Elizabeth. Like I said, they were up very briefly. It's possible that no one saw them. Just as well. :)
Electronic thesis stuff pisses me off. As I understand it, it is legal for the school to require you to post it online because you are turning it in as your thesis and therefore they have some proprietary rights to it as work you did while a student here. It's similar to the way a school would have rights to research done in a science lab by students there.
I did the best I could and suppressed it for two years so it won't come out online for a bit and I will have time to get the poems published and try for a chapbook with the poems before I have to worry about the fact that they are online.
Post a Comment