May 24, 2009

Small-Talk

That I'm certain no means no. That I like the definitive nature of such a word in my mouth.

That I can't stop listening to Buckley's version of Hallelujah.

That I want to rip my heart out and tack it to every place on the map which I never want to visit again.

That it's this Sunday that makes Monday un-Monday, but I only find the disruption to expectation unsettling.

That I got dressed up to stay in.

That the weeds are choking the oregano, but I'm tired of pulling--of roots.

That a hangover can last a decade.

That only some days does the music in me reach a volume audible to even myself.

That I'm not trying hard enough to dance every day.

That I buy the cat a new toy to witness joy in its small, describable moments.

That I caught a ride with the moon, that the moonlight threw me, that without a pen, the moon is useless.

****

1 comment:

Beth Guza said...

that without a pen, the moon is useless.

Amen.