December 15, 2008

"Rediculous" Indeed

See, I wish that no one had ever told me about ratemyprofessor.com, and furthermore, I wish I'd never looked.

The first few terms were good...nice reviews, even cute when my students said how "helpfull" I was. But the last few years, they've just gotten uglier. Students grow bitter as I grade harder. I don't know why they don't believe me on that first day when I tell them: this isn't a class for the weak. In here, you're going to work. And, if you work, you'll learn. If not, well...

This, of course, is my attempt to scare away the weak ones, but there they sit, like those butts who take poetry classes for the easy A's. Why do some people think that English is a gimme, and Math is synonymous with water-torture (okay, maybe the latter is just me)?

In any case, the students this year have thrice said I'm "full of myself." Okay, fine. Little jerks. Because I'm 5' 2"/100 lbs, and I talk with the voice of a Gorilla? Because I'm not afraid to say it like it is and grade just the same? See. This. THIS is why I should NOT read the posts. I get petty. But what's worse is petty's source: insecurity.

Not only do I enter final grades today with some trepidation, but I also fear that I'm not a teacher. Now, that doubt will subside, that much I know. What I don't know is how much stock students put in this crappy site. I mean, are others really going to this site to see if they should take my courses? And if so, what chance do I have? What will they think of me after reading the latest entries? Why don't my students who sing high praises get out there and post?

Wait---do those students maybe have better things to do?

And what of the others---do I care?

Are these rudents (my portmanteau for rude students who post on rmp.com) doing me a favor inadvertently? Do I want students who make course-registration decisions based on a .com? Do I think they'll be my best candidates for learners?

Egg-zachary. So, thank you, rudents, for complaining that I'm "hard" and "unfair" and "full of myself." And for most recently, writing how my class is simply "rediculous." You've all been very "helpfull."

Sincerely Yours,

The Woman with the Waning Chili Pepper

2 comments:

________ said...

As you know by now, nothing worth doing is easy and as always, many students will choose to take the path of water. Either way, good teachers are tough...you know it, egg-zachary :)

Lisa Fay Coutley said...

I do know, and thanks!