Tomorrow I have my List Meeting, which is a big deal in a lot of ways (hence the caps). At this particular meeting, all of my committee members (five faculty members who I greatly value and respect) will gather to duke it out over the texts I've amassed on my list: 120 books/chapters of poetry/poetry-related materials (40 contemporary, 40 historical, 40 theory). Once the list is finalized, the exam begins. Well, actually, since creating the list is a part of the exam, it's begun, but this meeting and the finalized list(s) will mean that I have the green light to begin reading for comps. It will be a different sort of year, to be sure. In many ways, it will be the busiest and most difficult yet. At the same time, I can't tell you how thankful I will be to finally and forever be finished with coursework.
So... this marks a move into my career as a professor. I will no longer be a student. Wow. And holyfuckingshitthankthelordyes!
That said, this (and this)--check these out:
My poem "Her Father Says She Worries Too Much," which is Black Lawrence Press's National Poetry Month Spotlight today.
And the new, sparkly-awesome issue of Quarterly West. It has been a real pleasure to work with Valerie Wetlaufer, editing the poetry, and watching as the Editors-in-Chief have moved QW from print to the web, ever-tweaking things to arrive at this pretty wonderful online journal you see here. This issue (the third online) features poems by Michelle Chan Brown, Bob Hicok, Karyna McGlynn, Esvie Coemish, Tory Adkisson, Amanda Auchter, and Stephen S. Mills (they rock, which means, V and I sorta rock, too).
That's all I got. More to come, I'm sure, once I finish the last two papers et al of the term (did I mention it's my very last term of classes EVER?). Toot-toot!
xo,
LF
No comments:
Post a Comment