What a bipolar life. I'm writing and hitting the mark, or I'm dried up and I'll never write again. I'm landing a piece or two, or months go by with nothing.
I thought maybe I was alone, until the other day when I was on campus: my prof. was so giddy, and I pointed it out, to which he replied, "Yes! I'm writing." Topsy-turvy indeed.
So recently, when I'd begun to feel that my roller coaster car was on permanent loop through Nebraska, I hit Denver. Well, a teenie bit of Denver.
I'm probably jinxing myself, and really, it seems a little insane to praise loss, but to be "among the finalists" is pretty okay. It was the first contest I'd sent my chapbook to, and they said it was really close, so here's hoping. It's out to 5 more contests, and with any luck, I could...well, you know. I'm not going to say it. Too superstitious.
Anyway, it's the sweetest way to lose, I'll tell you that. And I can coast on the false hope of that until fall when I should hit my next big hill. Hopefully. Damn. Jinx, jinx, jinx. I'm shutting up.
4 comments:
Congrats on the near-win. I feel confident that we'll be congratulating you for real wins not too long from now. Hang in there.
Thanks, and thanks, Elizabeth.
-hangin' :)
Hey! What's wrong with looping through Nebraska? The landscape here? It's actually quite haunting. Striking. It's Cather-country.
Aside from all that, a sincere congrats. You'll hit and hit soon.
lol, I wrote that with you in mind. :)
thx for the congrats, and I hope you're right!
Post a Comment