This morning I feel like the UP is doing its best
SLC-inversion-day imitation—heavy hanging sky swallowing all possibility from
the day. It’s the sort to spend in bed, reading or sleeping or holding someone
else.
Last night a friend called me to tell me about some
struggles he’s having and also noted that he’s trying to learn to be a
self-soother—someone who leans less on his friends because there’s likely no
need to pull them into his drama.
Drama—a play for theatre radio or television; an
exciting, emotional, or unexpected series of events or set of circumstances.
Read—life.
Maybe I’ve never known how to be a self-soother. Maybe I
don’t believe in that. I’ve spent the better part of this year alone in a cabin
that was, in my mind, going to be a reprieve, a writing space, a lovely place
in the loveliest place where I could refuel and recalibrate. I knew the
quietude of such a place would force me to grapple with a decade of difficulty
and loss—my mother’s death, broken love, single motherhood—but I welcomed the
challenge and the chance. This gray morning I think maybe I couldn’t have
handled this year any place less beautiful.
Let’s forget for a moment the plethora of ways this house
has either tried to kill us or quit itself this winter—carbon monoxide leaks,
frozen water pipes, broken washer, broken dryer, broken wood stove, garage door
closing on my car, snowfall ripping the deck from the house, a tree (a fucking
tree!) falling on my head, and on and on—because none of this matters at all.
160 miles from here, in the city and house where I was
born, my father props himself up each day in a kitchen chair, where he watches
television and bides his time. By his time, I mean the remaining days of
breathing he has here on earth, and by breathing I mean struggle. Lung cancer.
160 miles. A distance just far enough that, with a son in school here, I can’t
be there everyday but just close enough that I should be there everyday.
I remind myself that nothing is about me now, but this
ache is certainly about me, surrounding me, inside me growing like it feeds on
every cell, every tissue, every muscle. Ache. Cancer.
A tumor the size of his thumb stoppers one of his bronchi. No
air in, no air out. One whole lung of two lungs already damaged from 50 years of smoking and working with hazardous material. For some time, walking and cooking and generally caring for
himself has become next to impossible. They say that with aggressive chemo and
radiation, he has a 25-35% cure rate. Without treatment, 3-6 months.
I keep hearing my mentor tell me that at any job
interview or campus visit, my job is to make the committee comfortable. Set
them at ease. Make it easy to be around me.
Last week I used a scissors to hack through Dad’s
two-month beard—the pink stain where he’d been spitting blood into white
hair. It took me two days to get down to the smooth of his face again. It was
one of the saddest and most intimate things I’ve ever done.
How do I make my father comfortable? How do I make it
easy for him to be, to let go (should he choose to do so)? How do I lift the
lid from this day that hangs over all of his days going forward or just going?
How do I make my friend believe grief is something we bear and carry alone, but
that living is leaning on others in moments when we’re reduced to survival?
I once loved a man who told me he didn’t believe in
sharing his personal grief with the world and he didn’t appreciate anyone
sharing theirs with him. He didn’t need to be pulled into their lives, their
drama. I guess I understood that insofar as it pertained to strangers who seemed
to be needy but maybe didn’t appear to be in grave need, but who am I to gauge
the weight of anyone else’s struggle. How can I know the woman driving toward
me with her bright lights shining in my eyes hasn’t forgotten not because she’s
fiddling with her iphone but because her mind is somewhere else entirely,
struggling with something real?
I feel weird writing any of this. I feel even more weird
thinking of posting it. But I feel too much to be alone in this cabin, removed
from all the friends who would hug me if they could, estranged from much of my
family, and staring at such a dense and heavy sky.
I think maybe I need words now, and if anyone is reading
this, and if anyone has any words to share—links to poems, songs, whatever—please
feel free to share them.
While I was pulling the coarse hair away from Dad’s face,
in order to try to not cut him, I told him (knowing he probably won’t be here
to see my book published next year) that I recently wrote the acknowledgements for
the book, in which I thanked him for instilling in me a love of music, always
making me tell him what songs meant or making me pull back the needle to hear
again what a singer said, etc. For the wholly complicated nature of our
relationship and the sadness and anger we both hold, I’m grateful.
One of his favorite songs:
No comments:
Post a Comment