September 11, 2012

People Meat

Okay, I'm ready for anyone to say absolutely anything about this--

Here I am, reading for my comps, freewriting about binaries, bodies, loss, balance, Milton's Satan (sexy mofo that he is), Helen, Dido, Medea, the Holy Male Unions of Achilles & Patroclus, Gilgamesh & Enkidu, and the ideal couple Odysseus & Penelope and on and on, and it all keeps swirling around in male economies and models, copies, and simulacra, coming back to contemporary relationships, idealizations, guys, girls, realdolls, etc., and then here are these people-meat embryos vacuum packed like "Flesh Love," as photographer Haruhiko Kawaguchi calls it, and I'm stunned. I'm speechless. I'm what-the-fuck-ing over here, people! Say something, say anything. Look at all the pictures. Read about how the men piss themselves sometimes and the women just want to look good and then watch the video of how all of this goes down. Would you do this?

Sheeeiiit. Not me, yo. Thx though.

That said, I'm interested in any thoughts on this project's artistic merits, on what, if anything, it's risking or challenging, or if it's just another gimmicky thing that hadn't been done before. Maybe I'm all up in my head about bodies and binaries and such, but... there's something more here than my sudden claustrophobia. Isn't there?

*****

No comments: