February 3, 2012

Real Bad News. And Then.

Then. What can I say. Today I'm feeling a deep and abiding nostalgia. So I'll say little and instead give you a few links to some things.

Today, I have a guest blogpost over at She Writes (thanks to Sandra Beasley for inviting me!). Check it out here (caveat: it is a touch sentimental).

Also, if you'd like to listen to me read my poem "Listen," you can now do so at the RHINO blog.

And: I miss my mom.

I wish she were here and coherent and I could share with her the things I'm sharing with perfect strangers. It took me seven years to say that simple phrase. I'll always remember riding home from that small hospital where I said goodbye to her body and grappled with the realization not just of her death but that her voice was gone to me and I couldn't even recall our last phone conversation. I have no idea what her last words to me were. None.

It's funny the way that every love song you hear after losing your mom becomes about you and her and you realize that nothing is stronger than that, no matter how tenuous it may have seemed in its time. This is the song that was playing as we drove away.


*****

No comments: