One blog leads to the next. From Paul Guest to Mark Doty to Paul Lisicky. I’m addicted to this. I’m addicted to Facebook—the “book of faces,” as a friend calls it.
It’s clear that I’m afraid to start writing anything.
It’s clear that the semester has started. That I can’t move.
**
I like watching a man run his hands, one over the other, along a frayed rope he’s strung from the barn to the house. He’ll stay too long for a calf he can’t let die. I like that, too, even if it is just his hunger, his livelihood, his life in dirt. I know that the handkerchief, red and tied tight, can’t keep out the quartz—those tiny inescapable fragments, that desire to cough from the back of the throat. I like knowing that he’s taken too long getting to the storm cellar. A woman waits. A man walks blind save a rope.
**
Found poems from status updates? Michelle’s mean, Aubrey diagnoses, Ajani’s in his office, seemingly alone…
I’ve warned friends that this may be the only way I get a thing written this week. I can’t stop surfing, wasting time, finding any opportunity (even for 5 minutes between kid-pick-up times) to get in my jammy pants. Tenure. Sabbatical. These are words I like.
It’s a sad day in Lisaville when a blank word document is not her friend.
I ramble. I’m cinnamon, cumin, a bit of brown sugar. I’m a cheap red wine.
One kid pops popcorn. One kid peels a clementine.
**
The dirt falls and falls.
2 comments:
Lisa,
Please talk to someone about updating the Passages website. I've had people here ask me about it. That seagull has to go, ya know? Yes you do.
And is Casey still writing that fictional story?
Okay. Enough. For now.
"It’s clear that the semester has started. That I can’t move."
Ditto.
Post a Comment